trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Military

Old 20-Aug-2015, 11:50   #61
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Allows the integrated liftfan to breathe.

http://i.imgur.com/dK0CE41.jpg
Old 21-Aug-2015, 01:45   #62
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
Allows the integrated liftfan to breathe.

http://i.imgur.com/dK0CE41.jpg
Actually more to allow constant high-pressure airflow to the engine itself. This affects the liftfan's thrust though, with greater engine thrust meaning higher lift from the fan (shaft-driven, of course) and other outlets.

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2013-218

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 21-Aug-2015, 08:23   #63
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Does that have the same heat issues as the Yak-141 (which used to melt holes in runways at air displays)?

Edit: neverymind, apparently it did/does.

http://theaviationist.com/2010/11/24...ting-problems/

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/nav...ade-1697523492

Last edited by EvilGrin; 21-Aug-2015 at 08:26.
Send a message via ICQ to EvilGrin Send a message via AIM to EvilGrin Send a message via MSN to EvilGrin Send a message via Yahoo to EvilGrin  EvilGrinUK 
Old 25-Aug-2015, 03:18   #64
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Letting rip with the 25mil, plus airborne refuelling;

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 17-Jul-2016, 11:36   #65
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
F-35 hits Farnborough;

Plato
Old 12-Dec-2016, 00:19   #66
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Israelis fully buying into the concept;

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...rael-air-force

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Adv...l-today-475105

Plato

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 12-Dec-2016 at 00:37.
Old 12-Dec-2016, 14:33   #67
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
So how many changes did the Israelis insist on for the export version?
Old 12-Dec-2016, 16:07   #68
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Not sure that you can properly define an "export version" of this aircraft. You ask for your A, B, or C, and thereafter it's a journey into different territory. This is what intrigued me about the basic concept of the plane. IF it can be made to work to spec, and I believe it can, then the F-35 could be a quite startling warplane, and that's putting it mildly...

Plato
Old 12-Dec-2016, 16:11   #69
Belgarath
totally topical
Belgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe not.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/12/lockh...expensive.html
Old 12-Dec-2016, 17:01   #70
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja Cool8 View Post
Not sure that you can properly define an "export version" of this aircraft.
I was just getting Pentagon Wars flashbacks so I'd thought I'd check.

Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue. Designation is the F-35I.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...standard_F-35A

Presumably the onboard EWS is a load of shit if they want to 'upgrade' it. Using their own munitions makes sense, it's cheaper.

Last edited by EvilGrin; 12-Dec-2016 at 17:05.
Send a message via ICQ to EvilGrin Send a message via AIM to EvilGrin Send a message via MSN to EvilGrin Send a message via Yahoo to EvilGrin  EvilGrinUK 
Old 12-Dec-2016, 21:12   #71
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Thing is; this plane is intended to be combat-effective for 40 years or more. This baby is still crapping in its nappy, and crying itself to sleep, with the various parents getting almost zero respite.

Granted; it's the most expensive baby in history. Let's just hope that the expensive upbringing results in something that really pays off in the medium-to-long-term.

Plato
Old 12-Dec-2016, 22:26   #72
MZhukov
I liek boobies
Tournaments Won: 1
MZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond reputeMZhukov has a reputation beyond repute
USA will probably now get a discount and other nations will have to foot the bill!
Old 13-Dec-2016, 00:46   #73
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
It's the Chinese who will be getting a discounted version of the F35. After all, they stole terabytes of design and performance data relating to it.
Old 13-Dec-2016, 09:10   #74
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ld-trump-tweet
Old 13-Dec-2016, 09:12   #75
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
They deserve it.
Old 13-Dec-2016, 09:18   #76
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
I know, not too many tears being shed I would think
Old 16-Dec-2016, 02:31   #77
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
USMC F-35Bs to operate from our Carriers;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38336101

Plato
Old 05-Feb-2017, 10:17   #78
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
I could well have put this in the other thread, such is the smell of sheet attached to these Lockheed figures for the latest F-35 buy.... One way or another though, they seem to be keen to appease The Trumpet;

"Between larger order quantities and initiatives such as the Blueprint for Affordability, Lockheed was already targeting an $80-85 million price for each F-35A by Fiscal 2019. Lockheed mentioned those efforts in its own 3 February press release, but also showered the president with praise.

“President Trump’s personal involvement in the F-35 program accelerated the negotiations and sharpened our focus on driving down the price,” Lockheed states. “The agreement was reached in a matter of weeks and represents significant savings over previous contracts.”

While Lockheed may be bowing to Trump, the price is tracking with previous JPO estimates. During a December roundtable, F-35 programme executive officer Lt Gen Chris Bogdan estimated the price of all variants in LRIP 10 would decrease by 6-7%."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...728m-s-433827/

Plato
Old 26-Feb-2017, 04:11   #79
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Perhaps the F-35 is actually starting to be capable of strutting it's stuff?

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and...games-exercise

Or is it?

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...e/180961/.html

Plato
Old 27-Feb-2017, 11:03   #80
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
USMC seems to love it;

Plato
Old 07-Jun-2018, 13:41   #81
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
So we've finally got the first of ours. HMS QE sailing over the pond with them for a workout soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44368823

Interestingly; the Israelis claim to have already used theirs, as they do, but it seems they had a wee play with the Syrian tracking systems...

"The aircraft seemed to be fitted with radar reflectors to change its signature - in this case possibly to make it more visible; in other words negating its stealth characteristics. If this assessment is accurate, it suggests that - well aware of powerful prying Russian radars in Syria - the Israelis want to reveal as little as possible of the F-35's radar signature for when they actually need it to perform in its full stealth mode."

Certainly not "stealthy" with external stores loaded...

Plato
Old 11-Jun-2018, 16:46   #82
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Thumbs up

Theyrrrre heeeerrrre.....

Plato

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 11-Jun-2018 at 16:55.
Old 12-Jun-2018, 06:06   #83
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
We got any weapon systems to fire off them yet?

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'
 T3CHguyver 
Old 12-Jun-2018, 12:11   #84
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3CH^ View Post
We got any weapon systems to fire off them yet?
All the usual trinkets, it seems, up to and including nukes. With Meteor on the way;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...ng_II#Armament

Plato

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 12-Jun-2018 at 12:14.
Old 17-Aug-2018, 13:53   #85
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Another batch arrives at Marham;

Some nice high-altitude footage on this one;

Plato

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Military