trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Linux & Open Source

Old 22-Jan-2004, 18:29   #1
Heartwork
Hamish McJewstein
Heartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond repute
Which Linux? :o

For those of you who read my post (Help me ) in the Discussion forum, this is kind fo a continuation...

I'm going to be getting linux on a computer for my uni course, Software Engineering. Generally I need a few bits of info - primarily what version of linux is most recommended to a windows user who's never even seen linux before. At the moment I'm looking towards either Red Hat 9 or some version of mandrake. had a look at Gentoo, looks complicated as hell.
Preferrably I want something good that is as easy to use as possible without having uberknowledge about OSs and computers in general. I'm a COMPLETE n00b to this field.

My other main worry is a slightly silly one. If I download a version of linux (which I'm led to believe is a roughly 1gig download) how do I get this isntalled on a new PC? I realise I need to burn it onto a CD, but do I have to compress it? or burn it over 2 disks somehow? And once it's on disk, is it just a case of format the computer, shove in the cd and go from there? or do i need floppy disks to use as boot disks like in windows?
Old 22-Jan-2004, 19:02   #2
phantom
my other post is a smiley
phantom is just really nicephantom is just really nicephantom is just really nicephantom is just really nicephantom is just really nice
Generaly, to install linux on a new system you burn the downloaded images to a CD(s) and then boot off the first CD in the set to install.

The install software can take care of partioning the harddrive and its probably the simplest way if you are only going to have linux on that machine, as u can tell it just to use the whole drive and it will work out the required partions for you.
Old 22-Jan-2004, 19:31   #3
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a fast net connection you can use the boot disk/CD + FTP approach. I've used this in the past as I've been far too lazy to change CDs mid-install.

For a useless newbie, I'd suggest either Mandrake or Suse.
Old 22-Jan-2004, 22:03   #4
Heartwork
Hamish McJewstein
Heartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond repute
i've got NTL broadband but the linux-to-be computer isn't linked up to my network.

i had a look at suse, but i've not really heard a lot about it. still looks like red hat or mandrake at the moment :/
Old 22-Jan-2004, 22:59   #5
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
Go for mandrake. If you're set on redhat, get fedora core 1. Support for redhat 9 ends in the next few months...
Old 22-Jan-2004, 23:40   #6
Alucard
flame fodder
Alucard is on a distinguished road
www.gentoo.org

It's simply one of the BEST distros out there. It looks confusing, but I installed it, no help, had no knowledge of Linux.
Send a message via ICQ to Alucard Send a message via AIM to Alucard Send a message via MSN to Alucard Send a message via Yahoo to Alucard
Old 23-Jan-2004, 03:29   #7
Brain_Murders
Brain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud of
I heartilly recommend Mandrake for all newcomers.

Download the 3 mandrake 9.2 .iso images from your nearest mirror (www.mirror.ac.uk is pretty damn fast), burn each one onto a CD (and label them 1, 2 and 3) then insert disk 1 and boot.

Follow the instructions.

Come back here if you need more help.

If the computer that you are putting linux onto will only have linux then your life will be even easier. tbh, installing mandrake is as easy as installing windows these days.

You could really do with a network connection for it - there have been several updates since the cd images were made. Again, come back and ask if you need more help on this.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 11:06   #8
nameinuse
Resident Lurker
nameinuse is a name known to allnameinuse is a name known to allnameinuse is a name known to allnameinuse is a name known to allnameinuse is a name known to allnameinuse is a name known to all
I'd look at Mandrake and Suse, as both of them have nice installers, and lots of support.

Mandrake's simplest, and's based on RedHat (a very long time ago), and is generally structurally the same (with some major exceptions). It can over-simplify and make assumptions that are simple in the begining, but make working with it in depth rather tricky. Has quite a lot of support, some of it in french.

Suse is essentially the european redhat. It has lots of support, tho much of it's in German. Not used it too much, (i've recently gone from Mandrake to Debian (not a newbie friendly distro, but great once you've got used to linux), but the Yast2 installer does rock, and that can basically get you up and running pretty quick.

All the websites for the big distros have hardware compatibility lists. Check those for the hardware of the PC you're going to be running, and if there's a difference choose the one that supports it. Mandrake is famed for cutting edge (tho sometimes flakey) hardware support.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 14:48   #9
Heartwork
Hamish McJewstein
Brain_Murders you are my god. One slight hitch however - browsing through the masses of results for Mandrake 9.2 .iso on mirror.ac.uk I can't actually find any of the iso files. But, i am presuming to be .isos. Woudl they be anything else? I've seen .cue files in ISO copies before, no idea wtf a .cue is though.

I had a look at gentoo too, i might try it at some stage in the future, but for now I'll go for Mandrake.

And it will be linux only on the computer.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 15:23   #10
Brain_Murders
Brain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud of
Try here: http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsit.../Mandrake/iso/

There is a README file in there that might be useful for you - have a look.

A machine with only Linux on it will be easier to set up - no messing about with partitions and dual boot. Just let it do what it thinks is best and you should be OK.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Linux & Open Source