trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Lifestyle

Old 03-Jan-2007, 14:32   #1
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Running

i've made my New years resolutions which is to run every day. yesterday I did about 2 and half miles and now my legs are absoluty freaking killing me. Any tips onto how to avoid this I did plenty of strecthing but its still caining.

Felt good to be outside as i've got bored of running on treadmills but the different terrain is going to take some getting used to.

I'm aiming to go running again tonight but if my legs still hurt I may have to give it at least 24 years.

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 14:45   #2
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
Rizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond repute
When you finish, DON'T stop moving your legs - the reason you ache is all the acid build up... If you stop, your leg muscles have to pump it out. If you 'warm down' (walk a bit or gently jog a bit further and have a decent stretch) your heart will pump the crap out as it should.

You can try eating various foods... up to 30 mins or so afer you finish to refuel yourself. Stuff with potassium in is good... ie. bananas.
 priceyphil   4210-4173-4021 
Old 03-Jan-2007, 14:46   #3
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
Rizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Also if you want to boost stamina, different terrain is good. Also try changing your pace from time to time.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 17:09   #4
Goody
my other forum is full
Goody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond repute
Take it easy at first if you havent done much running before before itll take a while for your body to adjust so you probably dont want to set yourself a goal of every day just yet your unlikely to meet it. Proper pair of running shoes and proper warmups and warmdowns should do it!
Old 03-Jan-2007, 17:28   #5
terroristteddy
posts for a living
terroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond reputeterroristteddy has a reputation beyond repute
ice bath if youre insane
Old 03-Jan-2007, 17:31   #6
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
You wanna spend at least a minute or so warming down, even if it is jumping on the spot...

As mentioned above, go easy at first. If you haven't done running before try 3 times a week for a month, then move on to say every other day, for another month...

Oh and do go to a proper running store, not JJBs or JDs a PROPER running store and get yourself a good pair of running trainers which will offer you support. No need to spend 100+ 60-70 will get you a decent pair. I personally have a pair of Brooks, however, others swear by Asics etc etc, they're all good really.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 18:08   #7
CryBaby
spam isn't just for eating
CryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Supposedly FAR more than 1 minute. Most trainers rate warm downs as more important than warm ups.

To start with force yourself to leave at least 1 day between runs. Ideally it should be 2 gradually building up. Also, don't get heroic and up the distance too quickly as you wont benefit/will demoralise yourself. Willpower is all you have when running (unless injured) so don't do anything that may dent your confidence or enjoyment.

Can also echo comments about shoes. Cross trainers are NOT appropriate. Even if running off-road you need properly fitted and specific running shoes. Trust me on this, having had knee surgery for what amounted to RSI all the little things DO matter. Running without proper shoes and routine will probably not result in an immediate warning or injury but it could well build up and leave you with a seriously irritating injury that takes ages to clear up
Old 03-Jan-2007, 18:16   #8
CryBaby
CryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond reputeCryBaby has a reputation beyond repute
While I am here, varying your pace over a run is called a fartlek. Stupid name, no idea where its from. It is an accepted method of building stamina and much more efficient than plodding over increasing distances. I found it hard work tbh but of course its supposed to be. Doing a 30 minute fartlek for example was much more tiring than an hours jog. Saves time tho

Also, if you are serious about it, and are anything at all like me and most other people, you will need motivation. A friend did this to me and it worked wonders - have a look in the magazines or on the web and find a training routine for a set distance/time and stick to that. Enter a local race, say a 5k at first - there are LOADS if you look around and aim to run it in a certain time. Having a specific event to prepare for made running far more enjoyable and far easier to stick at.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 18:20   #9
CryBaby
post count +1 - apparently fartlek is Swedish for speed play. Meh

Some good stuff on these sites.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa...ning/index.asp

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaul...ng.asp?sp=&v=3

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/sit...ex.php?page=13
Old 03-Jan-2007, 19:11   #10
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
The idea od warmup is to up your heart rate to the correct pace for the exercise you are about to embark on.

Warming down is opposite, you lower it back to standard.

It is eaiser to warmup than to warm down (properly) hense warm downs being more important.

I can't comment on footware for normal running. I've been running both on and off road for years without problem in just Adidas trainers and I'll run a fair few miles! I play tons of hockey (on astroturf) for which I have turf trainers, but more for grip than anything else
Old 03-Jan-2007, 21:59   #11
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Become an armed robber, that'll get the adrenalin pumping, and push you to new heights

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 03-Jan-2007, 23:23   #12
dirky
quick panic, it's snowing
dirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond repute
Good on you for giving yourself a decent resolution to start with, typically I think resolutions are pants and not worth doing but this one seems good provided you stick with it!

Well done on doing two and a half miles too, I run about twice a week but only a short distance in comparison to what you're doing.

I think what someone said above the best thing to do is not over do it to start with, I don't know whether you really pushed yourself for that distance or not but you'd be better off easing yourself into it else you will find yourself aching head to toe the next day and beyond no doubt!

I always walk for about five minutes after a run and that seems to do the trick for a warm down.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 23:33   #13
dirky
dirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond repute
This is going to sound really daft but how do you know how far you've run without having a pedometer to tell you?

If you run for a given time at a certain speed can you estimate how far you've run? Maybe moderate pace for 30 mins = 1 mile? (Total guess)
Old 03-Jan-2007, 23:57   #14
CryBaby
You need a pedometer really. They are quite cheap and readily available. A steady pace for me is more or less exactly 9 minute miles. I did a 10 mile race and wore a pedometer so i could adjust it to a known distance.

That is not a fast pace by any means but of course we are all different - the great thing about regular running is being able to measure your own progress. It is most satisfying running a route more and more quickly (or at the same speed but feeling less and less tired). This is a very satisfying part of a routine which is why I suggested what i did above
Old 04-Jan-2007, 00:00   #15
CryBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy
The idea od warmup is to up your heart rate to the correct pace for the exercise you are about to embark on.

Warming down is opposite, you lower it back to standard.
That is not strictly true as regulated breathing can lower your heart rate while you stand still. Stretching muscles and loosening up is what I warm up for, an inxcreased heart rate is a natural by product. Warming down is releasing the lactic acid from the muscles and stopping them contracting too quickly which will lead to tightness and strains.

OF course you young fuckers think you're invincible but when you get the wrong side of 30 shit just aches for no reason
Old 04-Jan-2007, 01:11   #16
Matt
if thread.newpost then postreply();
Matt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond repute
For distance maybe he just ran a known route? measure it in your car for example.

Anyway - try to run on grass if you can. If you can get on decent tarmac use that in preference to concrete or paving slabs - sounds mad but you can tell the difference as there is a little bit of give in tarmac supposedly...maybe its psychosomatic!

One thing I found helped loads with shin splints and aching feet was to concentrate on technique a bit. I really made an effort to kinda "flick" my leg forward and land on the heel and roll forward to the toe for push off. Previously I was kinda not throwing my leg forward enough and landing on the ball of my foot like running on tiptoes a bit or something. Used to hurt a lot!
Old 04-Jan-2007, 01:22   #17
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
Aye, don't "pound" the pavement, try and run as "light footed" as possible.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 11:21   #18
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
looked up the route on a aa map site all the paths r nxt 2 roads

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:11   #19
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
That is not strictly true as regulated breathing can lower your heart rate while you stand still. Stretching muscles and loosening up is what I warm up for, an inxcreased heart rate is a natural by product. Warming down is releasing the lactic acid from the muscles and stopping them contracting too quickly which will lead to tightness and strains.

OF course you young fuckers think you're invincible but when you get the wrong side of 30 shit just aches for no reason
I AM invincible!

But yeah that's what I meant in my first post about getting rid of the acid. The lowering heart rate was an addition to that
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:35   #20
Goody
my other forum is full
Goody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond repute
There used to be a very funky tool online where you could basically draw your route onto a map of your area and it would calculate the distance. Cant find the fecker though
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:36   #21
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
It was something with google maps wasn't it? I remember that

Found it!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:48   #22
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I know I had to get some special trainers when I was training - while running I got some bad pains in my hips. It turned out ot be a strip of muscle that was attached by my gluts that folds over the hip and attaches to the knee area had become hard and un-muscle-like, like a tendon. This was causing my legs ot not run 'straight' and the muscle ended up rubbing backwards and forwards over my hip bone. Didn't understand any of this until I went to see the physio, one set of exercises later, and it's all ok again.

you might not get this, but it's an illustration if you're unused to exercise how suddenly becoming active can do strange things to your musculature.
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:52   #23
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF
It was something with google maps wasn't it? I remember that

Found it!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
How do you stick points in on that?

Quote:
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 04-Jan-2007, 13:55   #24
Goody
my other forum is full
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA
How do you stick points in on that?
Double left click
Old 04-Jan-2007, 15:14   #25
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
click record first
Old 05-Jan-2007, 02:33   #26
rip
flame fodder
rip is on a distinguished road
I find that the scenery can make a difference to the motivation. If you see a lot of nice ass about, i.e. near a University, thats motivation enough to get your arse in gear When I was in HK, I jogged a lot as the scenery was epic, harbour, islands, bustling nightlife etc, but back here I just have no motivation to run plus its colder here.
Old 05-Jan-2007, 11:07   #27
CryBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue
I know I had to get some special trainers when I was training - while running I got some bad pains in my hips. It turned out ot be a strip of muscle that was attached by my gluts that folds over the hip and attaches to the knee area had become hard and un-muscle-like, like a tendon. This was causing my legs ot not run 'straight' and the muscle ended up rubbing backwards and forwards over my hip bone. Didn't understand any of this until I went to see the physio, one set of exercises later, and it's all ok again.

you might not get this, but it's an illustration if you're unused to exercise how suddenly becoming active can do strange things to your musculature.

ITB - Illiotibial band. Thats what I got over the outside of the knee - had to have surgery after a year of unsuccessful physio

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...-friction.html

I only got it after a long run that I hadn't trained enough for. Sods law was that it was the race itself so I ran through the pain to finish. Had it been a training run I would have stopped and not made it so bad that it needed surgery. Never really recovered and don't run even now.

To be fair there were other factors such as my height and very tight hamstrings etc so its not all cured by good shoes but I can't reiterate enough to take it steady and build up your distances gradually.
Old 05-Jan-2007, 11:11   #28
[RaG]Ethel
Alfa Male
[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute
my new years resolutions invariably involve women :/
Old 05-Jan-2007, 11:19   #29
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
"Buy wife more flowers"?

Quote:
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 05-Jan-2007, 13:01   #30
dirky
ooo that Google map thingy is a great find, I've already drawn out my next run, 1.8 miles this one.

I'm going to time it and then redo it and try and run the quicker time as CB explained.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Lifestyle