trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Consoles

Old 03-Feb-2013, 14:26   #31
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
mr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond repute
If it is to last for the same length of time that the current generation of consoles has lasted that seems a bit short-sighted. Surely aiming for the best you can cram in the box would be a better starting point.

Unless there will be a mid life upgrade but then that means a two tier experience.

Or they don't expect them to last as long this time.
 Oddbin 
Old 03-Feb-2013, 14:27   #32
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't be arsed with Dead Space because, imo, System Shock/2 did it first and better. Funnily enough, the DS devs were asked about an SS connection-none of them had played it, despite being more than old enough.

"Age of mediocrity" right enough.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 03-Feb-2013, 14:32   #33
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_o View Post
If it is to last for the same length of time that the current generation of consoles has lasted that seems a bit short-sighted. Surely aiming for the best you can cram in the box would be a better starting point.

Unless there will be a mid life upgrade but then that means a two tier experience.

Or they don't expect them to last as long this time.
Or everyone's reading too much into headline numbers.
Old 03-Feb-2013, 14:44   #34
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Integrated capture? Goodness do sony finally grok the internet?
Old 03-Feb-2013, 14:47   #35
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja Cool8 View Post
I. couldn't be arsed with Dead Space because, imo, System Shock/2 did it first and better. Funnily enough, the DS devs were asked about an SS connection-none of them had played it, despite being more than old enough.

Ds1 was a superb game btw. Did you try it or not play at all?
Old 03-Feb-2013, 15:07   #36
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I couldn't be arsed with Dead Space because, imo, System Shock/2 did it first and better. Funnily enough, the DS devs were asked about an SS connection-none of them had played it, despite being more than old enough.

I think you might be thinking of Bioshock. Deadspace was a survival horror game that was genuinely claustrophobic and atmospheric. The shooting mechanics were very clunky, but it really immersed you in the game. Pity the sequel was just a half-rate sh'mup
Old 03-Feb-2013, 16:49   #37
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't play it, because it was third-person, and I absolutely cannot get any sense of immersion out of that kind of thing, I've tried, it just does not work for me. Castigate me if you will, I'm only going on reviews, spoilers and vids. And no, I am thinking of SS as a comparison as another scifi/horror(ish)/survival thing (Bioshock was the very same sort of material, almost the same story really, just too earthbound).

I wasn't the only one either, it was PCZone (remember them?) that posed the question to the Devs about SS/SS2, both in terms of the comparison to DS, and whether or not they'd been influenced by the former.

I still can't believe that people in their 30s, involved with a AAA title, haven't played its obvious predecessor. It's like making scifi movies having seen nothing prior to Independence Day.

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 03-Feb-2013, 17:55   #38
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Castigate me if you will, I'm only going on reviews, spoilers and vids.

*Castigation mode activated*

You CANNOT judge that game based on videos/spoilers etc. I recently watched a full playthough of the original game by Jesse Cox on youtube and it just doesnt manage to scare you when watching it back. The same cannot be said for Jesse, who was shitting himself at the slightest provocation. Its only when playing the game that you can be drawn into the world properly and feel the claustrophobia and hairs standing up on the back of your neck.

Obviously each to their own, but dont judge a game by watching videos or reading about it. Hell, Ive played it through twice and it managed to keep me on the edge of my seat even through the second playthrough, although obviously didnt manage to make me jump at the points that I did on the previous playthrough.

Last edited by Minty; 03-Feb-2013 at 17:58.
Old 03-Feb-2013, 18:58   #39
*XeR0x*
Eyebrows
Tournaments Won: 1
*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute
Anyway. The new Uncharted on the PS4 is gonna be awesome.
Old 03-Feb-2013, 19:10   #40
Orange
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Not if the third one is anything to go by 2 was brilliant though.
Old 03-Feb-2013, 19:24   #41
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
There's a slightly more detailed PS4 breakdown from EG: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...xt-gen-console
Old 04-Feb-2013, 18:22   #42
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
*Castigation mode activated*

You CANNOT judge that game based on videos/spoilers etc. I recently watched a full playthough of the original game by Jesse Cox on youtube and it just doesnt manage to scare you when watching it back. The same cannot be said for Jesse, who was shitting himself at the slightest provocation. Its only when playing the game that you can be drawn into the world properly and feel the claustrophobia and hairs standing up on the back of your neck.

Obviously each to their own, but dont judge a game by watching videos or reading about it. Hell, Ive played it through twice and it managed to keep me on the edge of my seat even through the second playthrough, although obviously didnt manage to make me jump at the points that I did on the previous playthrough.
Again, we get back to the fact that it's third person m8, with all that I said about same. Anyway, armour that glows in the dark? SHOOT MEH NOW!

Plato
Old 04-Feb-2013, 18:41   #43
Inertiaman
It's not armour. The bloke is a mechanic. Feel free to work on the hull of a space station every day with a jet black suit though.
Old 04-Feb-2013, 18:44   #44
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Not as bad as the glowing on the infiltrator armour in planetside 2,

'I is hiding to stabby stabby'

'Your lit up like a fucking christmas tree matey' BOOM

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 04-Feb-2013, 18:49   #45
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
It's not armour. The bloke is a mechanic. Feel free to work on the hull of a space station every day with a jet black suit though.
But I like jet black.

It's in my idiom

Plato
Old 06-Feb-2013, 21:21   #46
Orange
Hilarious if true:

http://m.edge-online.com/news/the-ne...nd-new-kinect/
Old 06-Feb-2013, 22:28   #47
Inertiaman
Don't mind that if the thing is the right price. Probably won't be. That seems the logical shape of things to come (apart from the always on bit which will bite them hard the first time their end goes tits up).

They're mad if they don't include kinect into the core SKUs though. Development for kinect, no matter how good they make it will always remain relatively risky and niche if it's optional.
Old 14-Feb-2013, 22:46   #48
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
Could be the PS4 controller, with touchscreen.

http://www.destructoid.com/post_gall...ost_key=244985
cunning-stunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2013, 07:47   #49
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
cunning-stunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2013, 18:27   #50
aird
You are tearing me apart!
aird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond reputeaird has a reputation beyond repute
Another shot of the possible controller.

Apparently it has a headphone socket and an integrated speaker in it.
Old 15-Feb-2013, 22:19   #51
Inertiaman
Headset. Makes sense tbh.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 00:08   #52
ReichSteadyCrew
post count reset at 9999
ReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond reputeReichSteadyCrew has a reputation beyond repute
Left thumbstick is still in the wrong place though
Old 20-Feb-2013, 23:41   #53
Bonesaw
forum hax
Bonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond reputeBonesaw has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

stream of the announcement
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:06   #54
PsYcHoKiLLa
topic of the pops
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
That stream is shit, use this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=noRJ15T4qb4
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:14   #55
PsYcHoKiLLa
topic of the pops
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
"..new business models such as episodic content and pay2play"

In other words milking gamers like cattle like they do on PC now, well you can fuck right off with that.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:22   #56
PsYcHoKiLLa
topic of the pops
Another stream:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...vent-live.html
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:23   #57
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
mr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond repute
8 core amd CPU and a modified gpu. Basically sounds like the gpu has a physix type set up going.
 Oddbin 
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:26   #58
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
Still no word on the whole download only rumours. That's about all I am interested in the PS4 announcement for as it could be a big change and with the EUs ruling on second hand games it would be interesting.
 Oddbin 
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:29   #59
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoKiLLa View Post
"..new business models such as episodic content and pay2play"

In other words milking gamers like cattle like they do on PC now, well you can fuck right off with that.
Didn't valve come out and say episodic content was a massive mistake for half life?

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 00:34   #60
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
That always on stuff is going to whore your bandwidth.
 Oddbin 

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Consoles